Imaging 360 Forecast: Media
The worldwide ink and laser media market saw a decline in total shipments in 2014 due to a decrease in worldwide laser media shipments driven by declining laser and inkjet media usage throughout the forecast period.
Photizo Group’s 2015 Media Forecast shows that worldwide ink and laser media shipments total 2.5 trillion (T) in 2014 and are expected to decrease to 2.4T by 2019, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) decline of 0.7 percent. Worldwide media revenue totals $30.5 billion (B) in 2014 and is expected to decline to $28.7B by 2019, a decline of 1.2 percent CAGR.
Those in the printing industry know that print volumes are declining, however, it is important to be aware of the rate of decline in media shipments and revenue. It is also important for those in the industry to know if there are areas of opportunity where shipments are not declining or declines are lower. We identify several areas of potential opportunity based on our forecast data.
Worldwide laser media shipments declined from 2.3T sheets in 2014 to 2.2T sheets in 2019, a decline of 0.4 percent CAGR. Worldwide laser media revenue decreased from $25.8B in 2014 to $24.8B in 2019, a decline of 0.8 percent CAGR. Worldwide inkjet media shipments declined from 239.2B in 2014 to 198.1B in 2019, a decrease of 3.7 percent CAGR. Worldwide inkjet media revenue decreased from $4.8B in 2014 to $3.9B in 2019, a decline of 4.1 percent CAGR.
Potential growth opportunities include:
- Worldwide coated media shipments increased 3.5 percent CAGR from 63.6B in 2014 to 75.5B in 2019
- Latin America ink and laser media shipments increased 2.8 percent CAGR from 196.8B in 2014 to 225.9B in 2019
- Latin America ink and laser media revenue increased 2.5 percent CAGR from $2.1B in 2014 to $2.4B in 2019
- North America ink and laser media shipments increased 0.5 percent CAGR from 892.5B in 2014 to 916.6B in 2019
- North America ink and laser media revenue increased 1.2 percent CAGR from $10.8B in 2014 to $11.4B in 2019